Saturday, January 30, 2010

Are social networking sites getting taken over by bots and scammers

I've noticed in 2010 an increase in bots and scammers pretending to be people they aren't. These people try there best to trick a person to believing that they are real that they go to far extents to make pics look real. Sites like Myspace, Migente, and Tagged have some of the biggest bots and scammers around. The only site I know that doesn't accept bots or scammers is Facebook. Because they validate that the pictures are real. I've noticed though on these other sites they try to fool people with the pictures pretending to be as if they are taken in a mirror but really its a photoshopped picture. With photoshop you can do so much nowadays to make a picture look valid. It's no joke. So what can you as a person do so you don't get caught by a bot trap or scammer trap. Question it with trick questions.

I've noticed that when a bot that looks almost to real to be true I question it with trick questions and if it can't answer them correctly I know its a fake page. Some ways to tell a bot is a fake on a social networking site.

1. When they give you there yahoo email in there status or send a message that looks to auto generated that includes there IM address.

2. When they have "Model" pictures. Reason I say this because you aren't going to be that damn lucky to be talking to a real model on a site like Tagged. Believe that if its too good to be true chances are its NOT!

3. When it looks like someone else is taking a picture of them and they aren't doing the picture taking. Now this one varies because there are friends who take pictures of there friends for there pages but then there are fake pages that the one actually taking the picture is the one behind the account and not the one in the picture. So be careful with this one.

So I figured I would just give my opinions and advice on how to deal with bots and scammers. Hopefully you will use it and not be caught in the bot scamming game. Thank you. And please help support my blogs by clicking on the links and ads.