Thursday, October 21, 2010

What is Freedom


What is Freedom?
By Richlatino
In all my years I’ve wondered if we truly have freedom in America. Our founding fathers that created the Declaration of Independence to fight for our freedom to make America what it is today to be a country of freedom of speech and so forth. I sometimes wonder though. Are we truly free? And what is true freedom? For a country that is founded upon freedom to choose and express yourself I’ve noticed we have to abide by certain rules and laws in order to be free. If we don’t abide by those rules and laws we get punished for breaking them. So can we truly say we are a free country? For a country that is founded upon equal rights and freedom to choose where you want to work and what religion you choose in these coming days I’ve noticed our freedom is becoming limited. Today I was cleaning out the fish bowl at the office because the water was dirty so I had to filter the water before I could put little Art back in there. Yes little Art is our fish’s name. I am not sure how long it was but I put little Art in a Styrofoam cup with water of course and left him on the table so I could clean his bowl when I came back I noticed little Art wasn’t in the cup. I was shocked little Art jumped out of his cup and onto the floor. Now for a tiny fish this was an astounding jump. I grabbed little Art from the floor and put him back in his fish bowl, surprisingly little Art was okay for now! He was swimming around in his fish bowl. I wondered if the reason he jumped out of his fish bowl because he felt he was bound by his freedom to leave his fish bowl and wanted to take a chance and regain his freedom. 


In a way that sort of makes me think are we in our own fish bowl and were waiting for that chance to make a jump for it to gain our freedom? Are we at the point where we are ready to make an escape and jump out and be free? Little Art made me think that our freedom is limited for now but when we work for ourselves and be our own boss we start to gain more freedom. Being in business for yourself and not depending on the government you have more control of your life because your life doesn’t revolve around your job. You don’t get that Sunday pit stomachs dreading to go to work the next day when you’re in business for yourself. I now realize that being in business for myself I have more fun and more freedom to enjoy life. To spend with my family and friends. To live my life freely and really enjoy true freedom. I have jumped out of my fish bowl and regained my freedom like little Art showed me. What the mind can conceive and believe the mind can achieve. By having that burning desire you can achieve what you put your mind to and regain that freedom. Of course you need to have a definite plan and take action to pursuing that burning desire. So ask yourself are you at the point where you’re in the fish tank and waiting for the chance to escape and regain your freedom? Why wait? Take action now!